I have an itch. I want to create a podcast. Not of myself talking on & on about something of importance to me. (I do this in my day job and in the mirror.) What I want is a podcast of the long articles or papers of interest that I discover. I want to be able to access these in the car or when I am otherwise not able to read them online or in print. A podcast of readings of these longer texts subscribed to in iTunes would be very helpful. And so I am now thinking about implementing a service to achieve this.
The "Narrator" service is a very simple pipeline. At this stage it looks like this:
- URL of article to read is deposited with Narrator.
- Narrator deposits the URL to Instapaper.
- Narrator confirms Instapaper's understanding of the text with the depositor.
- Narrator starts a HIT with Amazon.com Mechanical Turk.
- The HIT's reader uses Narrator's online audio capture to record the reading.
- The depositor is notified of the reader's audio availability.
- Narrator adds the article's link and the reader's audio to the depositor's podcast feed.
I will keep this posting updated as I find out more about implementing this service. If these already exists, then please tell me.
Update: The Umano app and service is getting close to what I want.